Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Inspiration....

Last week a friend told me that I inspired her to start a blog.  Color me happy!  Who doesn't want to be an inspirer?  Last night Joe Henry was studying for a quiz in his honors history class.  He was, admittedly, struggling to concentrate and absorb what he was reading.  It was clear he needed some inspiration but my attempt to be an "inspirer" fell short, well okay, it flat-out failed.  Last night I learned there is a fine line between inspiring and irritating.  Anyway, lately I've been thinking about inspiration and how it happens.

I remember a conversation I had with my sister a few years ago about the role and responsibility we have as Christians to share our faith, and influence people to consider Christ.  My sister is a theologian.  She can discuss the bible, and its teachings, with anyone and not feel the least bit intimidated.  Yet, I struggle being bold when it comes to sharing my faith.  Some people have a hard time believing me when I say that I'm shy and a little introverted, but it's true.  When I was young I had a speech impediment.  Kids would make fun of the way I talked, so I simply didn't talk.  I still hold onto some of those insecurities that were a part of my childhood.  Anyway, my sister, knowing this about me told me she feels one of the best ways to share your faith is to live your life in a way that makes other people want to seek what it is that inspires you.  There it is again, the "I" word.

Inspiration is a lot like faith: you can't see it, but it's undeniably real.  You can't touch it, but you can feel it.  It can be very powerful, but its impact is difficult, maybe even impossible, to measure.  Chances are you've wielded inspiration all over the place at different times throughout your life, but like the greatest people I've known, you may never realize the impact you've had on lives.

I'll end this entry by saying "thank you" to all of you that aspire to be an inspirer  because the more the merrier!  Power-on and try to, in the words of Mimi Meredith, grow some goodness.

Thanks for checking in.....

1 comment:

  1. Well. Now I'm really crying. Thanks, Mel. Wonderful journey you shared. You will be in the heart of Ali forever, and in the hearts of all of us who know you and marvel at your spirit. Words, my friend, are really seldom necessary.

    ReplyDelete