Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Time flies when you're having fun.....

Today was picture day at Hutch High which required me to fill out a form and write a check to Lifetouch.  As I was managing that task it hit me that this would be the last time I order school pictures.  I’ve been ordering school pictures and writing checks to Lifetouch since 1991! 

When Charlotte started kindergarten at Morgan Elementary, Elizabeth was just three.  It’s hard to remember a time when we weren’t a family of six but it was just Tad and “his girls” back then.  By the time the boys came along I was fairly certain I would be at Morgan Elementary for the rest of my life!  Okay, I was only there for 17 years and it didn’t even set the record but, still…

Joe Henry is a junior in high school but days like today remind me that the day is coming when Tad and I will have an “empty nest”.  Those words sound kind of dirty to me, EMPTY NEST.   I’m not sure I’m ready for the time when it’s just me and Tad and if he had agreed to six kids we would not even be thinking about it yet.  Actually, I started to rethink having six when Tad exclaimed, “the balance of power has been restored” after the doctor told us we had another boy.  To tell you the truth, when I held Joe Henry for the first time I realized what being “complete” felt like, I’ve never looked back.

Time keeps marching on and I’m older than I’ve ever been.  As hard as it is to adjust to changes (kids leaving for college, my father’s passing, a daughter getting married) I find myself loving this aging process.  I’m experiencing the understanding of a wisdom I never knew before and it’s made me less anxious and more comfortable with who and where I am in my life.   I've come to realize that life lessons are more often than not blessings that help me grow and when things seem to be going in the very wrong direction it usually turns out to be exactly right in retrospect.  And sometimes in the midst of my frustration or worries I find the answers or insight that I need.  All in all, I'm loving life, I'm loving my life.

Thanks for tuning in.....

1 comment:

  1. Good post, Momma. And while, yes, you and Dad may be empty nesters in just two short years...I think there is also a strong chance Joe Henry may live in the basement forever. I'm just saying...don't count your chickens before they've hatched. :) LY

    ReplyDelete