Friday, June 24, 2011

Starting to pack

I remember the exact moment the idea to do this was born.  I was driving to work and that Matthew West song, "My Own Little World" came on the radio.  The words are something like this:
In my own little world it hardly ever rains, I never go hungry and I always feel safe.  I've got money in my pocket, shoes on my feet.  In my own little world, population me.  What if there's a bigger picture, what if I'm missing out.  What if there's a greater purpose I could be living right now.
My friend Todd was actually the first person I mentioned doing something like this to when he stopped by my desk that morning.  Shortly after that Tad asked me what I wanted to do for my 50th birthday and I told him I wanted to go somewhere and do something outside my comfort zone..... mission: accomplished!

I never thought I would be here for over two weeks and at the end of that two weeks struggle with the thought of leaving.  I am more than ready to see my family and be able to talk on the phone with them, sleep in my own bed and enjoy air conditioning again but I am going to miss this place and these people more than I ever could have imagined.  

It's the middle of the night here, very quiet, just me and my computer  and I still can't come up with any words to describe how I feel about everything that I've seen and experienced here.  I think I need to be further away from it, emotionally and geographically, before I can attempt to do this experience justice.

I've met great people.....

 Ashley

and Sandrine 

 ....to name a few and I have learned that enlightenment can come from the most unlikely people.



2 comments:

  1. Cant wait to have you home! ILY

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo of you is absolutely beautiful. Truly. I am sitting here teary eyed and I just left your house! This was such a blessing Mel.

    ReplyDelete