Thursday, June 23, 2011

Two days in one post

I am so happy to have internet tonight! It was working fine last evening until I signed into my blog.   My big news from yesterday is that the orphanage said it would be okay if we bring our cameras for some pictures.  We can't take any pictures inside but we can take them outside but only with the staff.  It's better than nothing. It was a good day yesterday, we had a lot of fun.  We played music and danced and sang with the kids.  I am not good at either of those activities but no one seemed to mind. 

So we took our cameras today to get some pictures.  Actually, I didn't take mine because someone accidentally set something down on it and broke the screen and I can no longer see what I'm photographing. 
Sandrine took her camera and I will download the pictures onto my computer before I leave.

One thing that has been really hard for me while I've been here is that if we see something that seems wrong or unfair at the orphanage we can't say anything.  We were told about an incident a few years ago when a volunteer complained about the conditions and asked a U.S. diplomat they knew who was living in Morocco to come by and check it out.  After that happened the orphanage didn't allow volunteers for almost six months which was unfortunate for the children.  Luckily, they got a new director who decided to change the policy to allow volunteers to come back.  They do things so differently from the way you or I would do them and it's hard not to say anything.  The first day when they dried every child with the same towel and used the same toothbrush I struggled with keeping my thoughts to myself.   Even though they have enough toothbrushes now for every child to have his or her own they keep them all in a plastic bucket and pull one out at random.  I would love to suggest a way to organize the toothbrushes so each child could have their very own but that would be "against policy". 

I went to the Acima (market) earlier this evening where I bought some cookies and treats to share with the children and workers at the orphanage tomorrow.  It's about a 15 minute walk from here on a dirt path and since I showered after I got home from the orphanage I had to rewash my feet when I got back.  It was the first time I'd gone by myself that far and I think that is a sign that I'm starting to feel more comfortable in my surroundings.

I have met some wonderful people here, I have spent more time with Sandrine than anyone else here and that is really handy since French is her "first language" and most people here speak French as well as Arabic.  I've also gotten to know Ashley really well and she hangs out with me and Sandrine because she said it's like having her mother here.  Ashley is a former Miss North Carolina and is just as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside.  She is right between my girls in age and I think would be good friends with them if they knew each other.  She said to me yesterday after I was telling some story about Charlie and Betsy, "Do you think I'm a lot like Charlie and Betsy because I think I am."  Yes, Ashley, I do.  She is sending gifts home with me for my kids!  I was going to post a picture of her but I'm having trouble getting it to upload.

Hopefully, I will be able to get some pictures posted tomorrow night.  Heading to bed.

Good night.











1 comment:

  1. What an experience you are having! I wish I could know these people, too! Just a few more days and you will be home with Tad and the kids! Will you ever be the same again?
    I am so proud of you!
    xo

    ReplyDelete